Added a site nav, both in the header proper, and in a burger button that will pop up on screen otherwise too small to render the header nav in a sensible fashion. When I first started tinkering with this stuff, I used to try and "detect" whether someone was on a mobile phone in JS. Doing CSS by screen size is... a lot better. It really was just one of those things you overcomplicate as you learn, thinking you need to tie certain things to state when, in reality, since you're doing stuff for responsiveness's sake in the first place, the screen width alone is a reliable arbiter of what you ought to be doing. As much as CSS-in-JS has made the workflow better, there are some things pure CSS is still really excellent at, and for which JS will always be a poor substitute.
In addition to the site nav, the plugin that I use to pull in pleroma posts is now locally included within the repo. Having to deploy my own NPM package to use it on my project was tedious, and so I started developing them in parallel. It's still not technically the source for the plugin yet. I will have to make it a git submodule to do that, and I've never done that before, so that should be fun. For now, it's just being prototyped locally within the project as I encounter issues and then synced out with the main repo.
There is now a Blog page for the site! I can't wait to write more about it, but it runs by pulling in posts from a Pleroma instance via an npm plugin for Gatsby that I published literally just today, the same day I'm adding this page. It's my.. third-ish contribution to the Gatsby ecosystem, and my first source plugin. I'd previously helped with a minor dependency issue and added a feature to an existing plugin.
I really wanted some fluidity and novelty in my blogging process. The fact that this Pleroma instance is running on a Raspberry Pi is really exciting to me, and makes this entire enterprise feel even more homegrown than it already did. Add in the fact that I can now blog from my phone as if I'm writing a really long tweet and have it live nice and static somewhere that I control is, again, EXCITING.
I added the Projects page to keep track of everything I'm working on and want to work on! It's crazy, even just for myself, to have a bird's-eye view of what I'm working on, as my general process relies largely on holding a lot of parallel information in my head and taking really, really shitty notes (if I take any at all).
Anyway, I hope to continue adding to it as I try out new things and make progress on existing projects.
Been making changes faster than I could make a changelog! This will be more informal than a typical changelog, which is stiff, awful, and horrifyingly boring to read because most of them have too much granular information in them broken down into bullet points.
But changes don't happen in bullet points! Programmers like to pretend they do (or at lest, project managers would probably like to get us to think they do), but the only satisfying things that fall into bullet points are the quick fixes that, while interesting, make up maybe 20% of a programmers life.
Anyway, up to this point on the site prior to the changelog, here are some bullet points of what I've done!
gatsby-source-rss-forkto source latest 5 posts from both https://austinlanari.com and https://fuckupsomecomics.com
- Drew inspiration from some Bauhaus literature I had lying around and picked a color scheme along with some matching styles.
- Designed a simple favicon to match those styles and somehow got it working. I can never get favicons working on the first try.
- Added a mastodon icon to be a little more prominent above the fold, since it is my main source of outward live communication with the world at the moment.
- Created this page! Used
gatsby-source-filesystemin combo w/
gatsby-transformer-remarkto source this file into gatsby's ecosystem and read the markdown as html into graphql, respectively.
- Added a line about linking here, to the changelog. Eventually the site will need a nav but I'd like for it to be an interesting style and I like my current header too much to clutter it up with boring links.